The Medicine Hat & District Horticultural Society was first established in 1949 when a Constitution and By-laws were adopted. The Society flourished until the mid 1970’s when it ceased to exist. In October, 1980 an application was made to the societies’ commission to establish the current Medicine Hat & District Horticultural Society. A new Constitution and By-laws were adopted on October 5, 1981.
The first executive was:
President: Andy Ketel
Vice-President: Leah LaRose
Secretary: Yvonne Keatley
Treasurer: Barb LaRose
Show Director: Dave Harris
On June 21, 1982, we received official incorporation papers for our Society.
Throughout the years, the Society has been very active. In the early years, there was an annual Plant and Garden Show in early March at the Medicine Hat Mall. In addition, there were annual pruning workshops, plant sales and tours of member gardens.
In July 1993, was the first Annual Garden Tour open to the general public—a tradition that has carried on to the present day. It is an event to which residents of Medicine Hat look forward every year.
The By-laws were revised again in December, 2018 and a name change occurred. We are now known as the Medicine Hat & District Horticultural Association.