The Medicine Hat and District Horticultural Association is dedicated to the promotion of all horticultural interest in and around the city of Medicine Hat, and to the education of the people of the area by featuring qualified speakers on a wide range of horticultural topics.
The Medicine Hat & District Horticultural Society was first established in 1949 when a Constitution and By-laws were adopted. The Society flourished until the mid 1970’s when it ceased to exist. In October, 1980 an application was made to the societies’ commission to establish the current Medicine Hat & District Horticultural Society. A new Constitution and By-laws were adopted on October 5, 1981.
The first executive was:
President: Andy Ketel
Vice-President: Leah LaRose
Secretary: Yvonne Keatley
Treasurer: Barb LaRose
Show Director: Dave Harris
On June 21, 1982, we became a society.
Throughout the years, the Society has been very active.
In the early years, there was an annual Plant and Garden Show in early March at the Medicine Hat Mall. In addition, there were annual pruning workshops, plant sales and tours of member gardens
The Garden Tour has been a tradition since 1992.
The By-laws were revised again in December, 2018 and a name change occurred. We are now known as the Medicine Hat & District Horticultural Association.